Thursday, June 15, 2023

Addendum to My Story

 A Free Spirit:

As a child, my parents told me that I was Christian and at the time, I really didn’t know what that meant.  I was raised a Catholic and I went to Catholic school for six years.  By the sixth grade I had a complete understanding of what it meant to be Christian.  To the church, it meant that I was a sinner and I needed to pray to God for forgiveness.  To me, it meant getting my knuckles hit with a ruler, getting hit over the head with a book and smacked around by the Nuns.  Upon leaving the Catholic school, I was enrolled in a public school, where Christianity was alive and well, but without the abuse that I endured from the Nuns.  There were plenty of denominations offering invitations to join their church but after hearing all the arguments that went on between them, I was turned off completely.  I received plenty of Bible study during my incarceration at the Catholic school, which was like reading a Marvel Comic Book because of the outrageous Biblical stories.  Like any child, I was engrossed in the Bible because of its outrageous content.  Over the years I continued to reference the Bible and I was unable to relate to it so I eventually became a Realist.  As a Realist, I look at my spirituality differently, I now consider myself to be a Free Spirit, not a slave to God.

-Alex Sungail ~ Welcome to the unknown